Monday, July 29, 2013

Our Kids are Not the Only Ones Who Need to Keep Learning

 Educating yourself should never stop.  If you are working with children with special needs there are multitudes of ways to educate yourself.  Reading blogs like mine and participating in on-line discussions are ways to keep current with popular conversations in the field.  There are conferences, workshops, on-line classes and books to read that can also teach you about current practices and philosophies. The important thing to understand is that the research in this area is just really starting, and it is important to stay on top of it.
    This past weekend, I attended an Autism Conference at The University of North Texas.  There were two keynote speakers and then 4 breakout sessions where attendees could choose from a variety of topic for either professionals or parents.  The information provided ranged from how to interpret data to creating social stories and the importance of play.  I am looking forward to sharing some of what I learned in my future blogs.  What I want you to get from my blog today is that this information is out there and accessible. It did not take me weeks, but rather only a Saturday afternoon with friends to really improve my knowledge base and help me become a better teacher. 
    Future  Horizons is one company through which Temple Grandin works.   I attended one of their conferences in the past and hope to attend one again later this year.  The format there is a bit different.  There is usually only one to three speakers, but again well worth the time as you will come away with a wealth of knowledge.  This is where I learned about fear being the primary response emotion for children on the spectrum.  That one bit of information is probably the most valuable piece of knowledge I have gained and applied while working with children on the spectrum.  Had I not gone to a conference, I would not have the success I have with my students.
    If you are looking for classes and conferences, they are not that hard to find.  Teachers can find on line classes through their education regions, Teaching Unions and organizations, or school districts. Parents can find classes through state support services, doctor’s and service provider’s offices, and child’s health magazines. Both educators and parents can do searches on the internet as well.
    Thank you for wanting to educate yourself by reading blogs like mine.  I hope you find a local conference or workshop that can inspire you and help you to continue your education so that you can help our kids grow.  They are lucky to have someone like you who takes the time to learn with them.


For more information you can start here:

No comments:

Post a Comment